China has built oil and gas pipelines across Myanmar to southwest China, enabling shipments to avoid the Strait of Malacca. Washington and Ottawa highlight human rights violations in Myanmar and rarely mention oil. Of course, if the US could prise Myanmar from Chinese influence into the Western fold, it would have one more way to limit China.
- Belarus: Freedom and sanctions in a pipeline country
- Nord Stream 2: Last ditch opposition to nearly-completed pipeline intensifies
- Nord Stream 2 pipeline—a saga of intrusion. Though nearly completed, the US is thwarting the project. Canada is also against it. Why?
- Should the U.S. and Canada shore up an industry whose future is questionable? What about the banks saddled with bad loans?
- Venezuela Shows Courage in Challenging US power